Thursday, April 18, 2013

Sheryl Sandberg on the Daily Show

During my presentation on Ray Strachey's The Cause, the theme that I kept returning to was how a person creates and sustains change in society. The connection between Strachey and Woolf was that while Woolf advocates for personal achievement and change, Strachey highlights the collective nature of change and the social climate that facilitated the advancement of the Women's Movement. During my presentation Professor Fernald brought up Sheryl Sandberg's new book Lean In, and it sounded really interesting to me. Then I was going through my backlogged episodes of the Daily Show during a study break and saw that Sheryl Sandberg had been on the show just a few days earlier:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-april-3-2013/sheryl-sandberg

A great highlight from the interview was during her response to Jon Stewart's question about backlash, asking how she felt about the debate surrounding her book. She commented that she was grateful for the discussion because: "I wrote Lean In because I'm afraid that the blunt truth is that men still run the world, and I'm not sure that's going so well.."

Then a YouTuber that I watch did a review of the book in which she refers to the book as "a feminist manifesto":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJtNocuhsNc


I haven't gotten a chance to pick up a copy for myself yet, but it sounds like this book is in the same vein of thought as Woolf's A Room of One's Own.

No comments:

Post a Comment