Thursday, April 18, 2013

Why The Waves Might Be My Favorite

I have to admit that when I first started reading The Waves I looked at that opening page that was full of poetic language and thought it was maybe not going be one of my favorites that we have read this semester. I think the kind of style she is experimenting with is beautiful but I couldn't see how this could compare with the standards that we had read earlier in this semester that were clearly identifiable as Woolf. I was dead wrong however. The farther I get into The Waves the more I love it.

I have a sense when reading it that the dialogue and narration of the characters should be spoken in a particular way that I can't describe. The way Woolf chooses to write allows the reader to see so much more of the characters' personalities then we get to see in her other works, not that we don't get to see a lot. Somehow her style here, having the characters' thoughts and actions described by themselves and having the characters often describe their perspective on the same moment helps illustrate the story in the way that plain narration can't.

This was kind of a rant, but I just thought I would share, and am wondering if anyone else feels the same way about The Waves. To conclude, I am so glad that I have been pleasantly surprised by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment